Saturday, March 21, 2009

Our Mission

Back when I was a kid in high school and for a little while following high school I was the epitome of the Good Little Catholic Boy(tm) I then went to work in public safety where I have remained in one form or another for the past twelve years. My career choice has at times made me cynical and bitter and I have been burned out before but as I get older I have come to realize more and more that bitterness and cynicism are really over rated and they do not allow us to see things clearly and they do not allow us to complete our mission. I have chosen the path of paramedic, that is how I serve my fellow man and in turn how I serve God. When I returned to Maine in September I went back to work in the same place that I was before and I went back with the hope that my time away had taught me what is truly important and I do believe that I have started to learn and continue to learn what is important and thus far I have managed to keep that bitterness and cynicism at bay. Thankfully I have found my reinforcements.

The first is in the form of another blog. I forget exactly how I managed to find his youtube channel and subsequently his blog but the blogger known as Davey Wavey over at Break The Illusion has reminded me of what is important in life and that is love. Love of one's self and love for all of humankind. Below is one if his short little videos. For some reason he doesn't like wearing shirts.



The second reinforcement is through music. A certain song from a certain album by a certain artist spoke to me and brought me out of a very dark place once and since then I have felt a strong attachment to her music. I have often felt that if Melissa Etheridge wasn't hugely famous and if she wasn't a lesbian and if I weren't gay then I would absolutely want to marry her. I have come to realize that it is because she is a lesbian that she writes the way that she does and it is because I am gay that I interpret her lyrics the way I do and it is because she is famous that I know her music, so in retrospect I am glad that she is who she is and I am glad that I am who I am so that I can feel her music the way that I do. I purchased her latest album some time ago but it wasn't until recently that I began to really listen to it and listen to the lyrics that I found myself returning to her music once again and it is with that in mind that I share the video below with you.




Be well.

No comments: