Thursday, February 12, 2009

BOHICA

I drive a 2001 Nissan Xterra that I bought new. My baby has 156,000+ miles on her. Aside from oil changes, brakes & tires I've never had to do anything to her until last year when she needed new ball joints.

Yesterday I went out to run some errands and when I turned the key the starter kicked in, the engine turned over and sputtered and died. I turned the key again and the starter just whined. I had her towed to my mechanic who happens to be an old friend of my dad- someone who I trust to work on my vehicle. I called him this afternoon to see if I could pick her up and found out that in addition to the starter it has some other problems. It may need a complete head job or I may need to replace the whole damned engine.

Long story short, it looks like I won't be getting 200,000 miles out of her like I wanted to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard that some of those cars had plastic bearing surfaces that the timing belt would run on. After a few 100,000 miles they wear out and "poof" the timing belt goes, the timing goes and the valves in the head...go.
Sorry
Steve